Monday, August 4, 2008

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, 1918-2008


Current Location: Kinsale, Ireland
Current Coordinates: 51°42′ N 8°31′ W
Listening: Hallelujah, by Martin Sexton

Day trip to Kinsale. Boat is in Cork. We sail for Spain on Thursday.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn died yesterday. He was 89. This is the second person that I've written about or been inspired by on this trip that has died recently (also, George Carlin). I hope I'm not bad luck.

I'm reading "a - lot" (two words, thanks mom) about Communist Russia under Stalin as I prepare for my graduate program. Stalin targeted intellectuals (and many, many other types of people) like Solzhenitsyn for thinking (which was not encouraged) and placed them in the gulags. Solzhenitsyn's eight years in the Soviet work camps were the subject of much of his writing and the basis for many of his political beliefs.

Some of his words inspired one of my first posts on this trip. I'd like to remember Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn today by posting this again. Have a look if you haven't already. And if you have, you've done your homework and you've got the day off.

Another more detailed report coming before Thursday when we sail.

--Paul


"Long periods of well-being and comfort are in general dangerous to all. After such prolonged periods, weak souls become incapable of weathering any kind of trial. They are afraid of it. Yet it is a fact that difficult trials and sufferings can facilitate the growth of the soul. I know there is a widespread feeling that if we highly value suffering this is masochism. On the contrary, it is a significant bravery when we respect suffering and understand what burdens it places on our soul. "

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

1 comment:

chuck said...

Hallelujah Paul,

Great song and I love that quote also. I look forward to the next blog entry.

Dad